Chakalaka Boerewors & Peppers Pasta Sauce
Time, Temperature and Serves is approximate and is a guide only.
min Preparation time min Cooking time Serves
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 x 500 g COLCOM Chakalaka Boerewors
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, sliced
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers, sliced
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, sliced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp dried Oregano
- ½ cup fresh Basil, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 cup White Wine or Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce *(see recipe below)
- ¼ tsp dried Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 2 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small sachet Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbls Basil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced Onion
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ½ cup White Wine
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add the COLCOM Chakalaka Boerewors and cook until brown all sides, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.
- Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onion, salt and pepper and sauté until softened. Add the oregano, basil and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the wine and or stock, marinara sauce and red pepper flakes. Bring to gentle simmer.
- Cut the COLCOM Chakalaka Boerewors into bite size pieces (not too small) and add back to the pan and stir to combine. Gently cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes. Serve in bowls over pasta.
- Or alternatively, if serving as a sandwich, split the rolls in half length-wise. Hollow out bread from the bottom sides of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with sausage mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese and serve rolls immediately.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil and add the onions and garlic and sauté until tender. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and white wine.
- Cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Slightly cool the sauce and puree in a blender for desired consistency/thickness.
- Perfect for pasta.